Saturday, March 21, 2009

Changing the World

Today I went to Cesar Vallejo to work the medical campaign of WorldVision. In a matter of 6 hours, a small number of volunteers and 6 doctors weighed, measured, diagnosed, and handed out medicine to nearly 300 children living in or around the Cesar Vallejo area.

A little bit about Cesar Vallejo: Extreme poverty doesn't quite describe the living conditions. Like a large portion of Lima, C.V. is a pueblito or a small town formed by transients and emmigrants who come to Lima looking for work. The houses are hand crafted, made from the finest left over wood, corregated cardboard, tarps, and any other trash that can be converted into building material. Most residents (especially the one's on the top of the hills) lack electricity, plumbing, paved roads, access to potable water, and most other basic necessities. Packs of mean wild stray dogs roam the streets and roof tops, claiming the shanty town as their territory and threatening those who pass. Employment... doesn't exist, and schools are few and far between.

The kids of C.V.: They're just like kids anywhere; funny, shy, rambunctious, loud, crying, coughing, sniffiling, whinning, loving, grateful, nervous, awkward, curious, the list goes on... They were dressed with America written all over them; that's to say they wore t-shirts that said "barbie, gi joe, aeropostale, old navy..." all from like 5 seasons ago and very worn but they were happy to be wearing them. I asked a little girl who had the quintessential barbie (blonde hair, blue eyes) on her shirt if she liked Barbie, the little girl didn't own a barbie but said she liked her.

Just as I was curious about them, they were very curious about me. My white skin was like a coffee stain on a wedding dress. A little girl about 3 years old touched my arm the whole time I filled out her paper work. Other's asked where I was from, and lit up when I told them U.S. A little boy about 9yrs old asked me if the U.S. was pretty. I told him it was very pretty and asked if he wanted to go there one day, to which he exclaimed with bright eyes "Si!". For the most part, they all just stared, only few had the courage to talk to the gringa.

Of the 300 or so kids, 2 had downs syndrom, 1 appeared to have cancer, and over half were anemic. On a high note though, most were vaccinated and were receiving medical care (thanks to WorldVision). They were all grateful and appreciative even after having to wait in the hot sun before getting their turn.

As great as this experience was (and will continue to be since I'm working for WorldVision) it was also deflating. I've been thinking since I got here about my goal of changing the world... It's pretty lofty, and the more I see, the less attainable it appears. I'm not saying I'm quiting - not at all; but rather reevaluating how to go about this and exactly what "change" is possible. What I'm getting at here is that I realize the whole world isn't going to live like we do in the U.S. Rather, sticking to the basics: food, water, shelter, education, health care, and safety - you know the bottom part of that pyramid.
What I do know is that no matter where you volunteer; it's always the volunteer who get's more out of it then the recipient.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like an eye opening experience. I wish we could all see the poverty for our own eyes, and then maybe we wouldn't take for granted what we have... hard when it is all there right before our eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world will never be perfect B, and we can't save them all. I see it everyday in my job, so I know that feeling that your going through when you realize how bad things really are. You are doing a wonderful unselfish service, and I'm so very proud to call you my friend. You be sure that you will be bragged about to my friends and co workers.

    ReplyDelete